EATS AND DRINKS IN EL NIDO, PHILIPPINES
Hurray you made it to El Nido!
Time for food…
These are our favourites:
- Happiness: If hummus is your thing, get yourself here asap. Hummus, falafel, shakshuka etc etc. All freshly made. We ate here with embarrassing regularity and we’ve been comparing all hummus to theirs for months now. Frankly, nothing is as good. Oh and the actual restaurant is the fucking dream. White deck chairs on a little crescent of beach next to Marimegmeg beach (or is it called Las Cabanas? Someone enlighten us, please.). The view is all turquoise seas and limestone cliffs as far as the eye can see. You’ll need to glue that gaping jaw shut with spoonfuls of hummus. Divine. (Ps. Get a tricycle driver to take you to Republica and take the stairs down to the beach. It’s a little hidden but worth the search!) facebook.com/Happiness-Beach-Bar
- Atmosphere: If you’re looking for a departure from the usual suspects on El Nido beach, have a little look for Atmosphere. You’ll spot the mats and low tables on the beach. There is a big board outside advertising the sushi which tends to never be available. Fuck that, you don't need the sushi anyway. We think you should have the Atmosphere noodles instead. Yum. Go for dinner so you can listen to the music from Pukka next door. Which brings us to…
- Pukka: If Pukka was a person he’d be that grubby dude you always see who could do with a shower and a toenail trim but fucking hell he’s hilarious after a few drinks! We love Pukka for its cheap rum and coke and brilliant atmos. Get there on a night when a local band take to the stage. The music is great, the drinks are cheap. Have a shot every time the singer gets the words to a song wrong and you’ll stagger out of there like we did. Loved it. Oh and the toilets look like they’re out of *that* scene in Trainspotting. Gag. Take your water-free hand cleanser.
- The Beach Shack: On Marimegmeg beach, this is the go to for toasties and cold beers in between swims. The atmosphere is spot on. The food is a bit meh (but we’re talking toasties here not a 7 course tasting menu at Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons). The music is even pretty good at times. Pity the staff look like they're being forced to work at gunpoint. God knows whats going on behind the scenes there but they’re the most miserable bunch of people we’ve ever encountered. Diabolical service but a great spot for a cold beer after a day in the sun.
- Republica Sunset Bar: We once crashed a birthday party here and danced all night long to Abba. Ah memories. The view from this tiny tapas bar is great. It’s just above Happiness but it’s much easier to find. Lovely place, lovely tapas, cold beer and as the name would suggest, it’s perfect for sunset. facebook.com/republicasunsetbar