IN CEBU CITY FOR 24 HOURS?
If you’re travelling in The Philippines, Cebu City is one of those places where you tend to find yourself for a few hours / days on the way to somewhere. We’ve been there for a few days at a time to organise visa extensions / desperately searching for tampons / taking the very tedious shuttle to Malapascua.
If you find yourself with a day to spare and you’re in Cebu City, here are the things to know / do:
- Often called Mini Manila, Cebu City is home to some of the most agonising bumper-to-bumper traffic we’ve EVER encountered. Don't expect to go anywhere quickly… In fact, prepare to add about an hour or two to your travel time. Especially if you’re going to the airport.
- It’s many things but pretty it ‘aint! This is not the kind of place to stroll aimlessly around. No, no. Get in a cab and know where you’re going. Wish we could say different and we’d love to be corrected, so if we’re missing anything, tell us!
- If you need to get shit done and you have limited time, you’ll find yourself in the mall. We can’t believe we’re saying this either but trust when we say that The Ayala Mall is your new best friend. The Ayala Mall has everything and we do mean everything. If, like us, you need to restock supplies between islands or you're just after a bloody great meal, this is our favourite. They even have a cinema which is pure novelty after months on the beach. There is also a fucking huge SM Mall but it’s just too bloody much for short amounts of time. We spent a whole day getting lost in there and I do mean lost… Like, actually.
So lets assume you’re in the Ayala Mall and you’re looking for food. Head to The Terraces, this is where all the restaurants are. There are a crazy amount of fast food chains but our tried and tested faves are:
- Sumo Sam: The sushi. That. Is. All. Get the Crunchy Tuna Rolls with Miso Soup. Truly the best sushi we’ve had in ages.
- The Social: Okay so the outside bar is favourite with sexpats but don't let that deter you. The Bloody Marys and a Full Cooked Breakfast will soothe all visa office woes and the sandwiches are fucking great. The portions are big and the restaurant itself is super chilled. Winner.
O h and if you’re spending the night and you want a hotel a mere 5 min walk to the Ayala Mall and close to the airport that wont break the bank, stay at The Golden Prince. Do yourself a favour and ask for a room in the new wing. The “old” wing is currently awaiting a desperately needed facelift while the new wing is full of deliciously comfy beds and orgasmic showers. Okay, it’s not the Ritz but it’s pretty close if you’ve been island hopping. Oh and if you think you have a sadistic boss, spare a thought for the front desk staff who have to say “Have a Golden Day!” though giant smiles at every single fucking person who crosses their path…
And on that note. Have a Golden Day!